Korean Dumpling Soup.
- 5 to 6 cups of water
- 2 cloves (1½tsp) finely chopped garlic
- 2 heaping tsp. Beef Dashida(a beef flavored soup base)
- A pinch of Miwon (MSG, optional)
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1⁄8 tsp. black pepper
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 egg, scrambled
- 10-12 frozen, cooked Mondu/dumplings (Use thin-skinned dumplings, not the thick-skinned ‘potstickers’)
- 2 large sheets of seaweed
- Approx. 1 cup sliced rice cake
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- Add beef flavoring and vegetable oil to water and bring to a boil.
- Add the mondu, sliced rice cake, scallions, garlic and continue boiling for about 5 minutes. Don’t overcook the dumplings, they will fall apart.
- Add the black pepper, then slowly add the eggs while stirring to get a stringy effect.
- Remove from heat.Toast the sheets of seaweed until crispy by waving them over a burner, then crumble and stir into the soup. Serve and top off with a sprinkling of sesame oil over the soup.
Makes approx. 3-4 large servings